I’ve had so many conversations lately and this is a common theme. STRESS seems to be normal. We are MENTALLY trying to “pay all of the bills” with over-drafted accounts. It starts in the morning rush and doesn’t stop. Most people even carry it into their beds at night and wrestle to sleep on a regular basis.
Honey, I feel ya! It hurts my heart. It’s ME too! I don’t believe for one second that we have to live that way. You are strong and capable of dealing with everything that will come at you today. It may feel overwhelming at times, but you CAN do what needs to be done!
Let’s go through a few things that may help us deal:
- Stop the morning madness. Most of us hit the ground running in the mornings. Taking control of your morning routine can make all of the difference. Intentionally wake up a few minutes earlier (no snoozing) and take a few moments to think about what you are thankful for. Journal, meditate, read the Bible. Set the tone for how you want your day to go. Enjoy the quiet before the hustle and bustle.
- Make a good ole’ LIST. There is nothing like an old-fashioned written list. Prioritize the tasks and get to work. This will help you stay focused when the day tries to get away from you.
- Move your body. This is a favorite of mine! The benefits are proven. There are chemicals that are released into our bodies when we move that affect how we feel and how we focus. It doesn’t have to be a 2 hour gym session, it can even be a quick 20 minute workout or walk! The important part… just move!
- Choose healthier food. I couldn’t leave this one out. We have to do better with making healthier food choices. Remember that food is fuel! The first thing we want when stress seems high is sugar-ridden foods. Don’t do it! Your body is like a fancy car…only premium fuel will do. No garbage in the gas tank.
- Take Care of Yourself. This seems like a foreign language to some people. We have to do some things that feeds our souls. Have coffee with a friend. Go for a hike. Sit in the park for an hour. Read. Take a salt bath. Whatever that thing is for you… do it. You are worthy of care. You are important enough to schedule in 20 minutes for some chill time!
- Assess your commitments. Have I overcommitted myself? Sometimes we think we are superhuman and can do EVERYthing. Maybe we have said YES to too many things and need to reassess our commitments so that we can do better in the future. Saying NO isn’t fun… trust me, I know. I am a YES MAN, but I had to learn to say NO so that I can give proper attention to the things I say YES to.
- Be encouragement. It’s a bit harder to feel stressed when you look outside of yourself. Be quick to speak encouragement over others. When you feel overwhelmed, sometimes the best medicine is to find someone else who is overwhelmed and uplift them.
We could go on and on, but I don’t want to overwhelm you talking about being overwhelmed! Haha. You can approach everyday with intention and do your best to combat stress before it shows up. We won’t have anything to give others if our tank is always empty, so it is vital that we take care of ourselves. Stress is a big spender and it overdraft the account EVERY time! Stress and anxiety will bear down on us for sure, but we are stronger than that mess! I am praying that we all can do better today.